Directions: Follow the directions in each Part below to complete the assignment.
Directions: Answer each of the following questions.
1. According to the governess, how much should she be paid per month?
2. Name three reasons why the employer subtracts money from the governess’s salary.
3. How does the governess behave as the employer goes over their accounts?
4. What amount is left after the accounting?
5. How much money does the employer actually pay the governess?
6. Why does the governess not protest her employer’s actions?
7. Why does the employer trick the governess?
8. How would you help a friend like the governess stand up for himself or herself if, for example, this person were not rewarded as had been promised for doing extra work?
Directions: In a paragraph or two, respond to each of the following prompts.
Reminder: An inference is a conclusion that can be drawn from information you are given. Answer the following questions about the story:
1. In this story, the governess whispers or speaks hesitantly “in a trembling voice”…or says nothing at all. On the basis of this, what do you infer about her character?
2. What can you infer about the employer from his “furious” speech at the end of the story?
3. What do you infer about him from his trick?
4. Analyze Yulia’s strength in the story.
5. How is her behavior a form of strength?
6. How is it different from her employer’s definition of what it means to be strong?